The chocolate yule log is a fantastic alternative to Christmas cake. It doesn’t feel as rich, but can hit that sweet tooth and chocolate craving all in one festive hit! Whether you enjoy yours on Christmas day or the lead up to it, you are sure to be glad you baked this and will be itching to sink your teeth into it!
85g golden caster sugar
85g plain flour – take out 2 tbsp to replace it with cocoa powder
2 tbsp cocoa powder
½ tbsp baking powder
140g dark chocolate broken down into pieces
1 tbsp golden syrup
284ml pot of cream
200g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200c
2. Grease or line a 32x23cm swiss roll tin
3. Beat the eggs and sugar together until creamy
4. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder then swift into the egg mixture, folding it in as you go, then pour into your tin
5. Gently rock the tin from side to side to even out the mixture and bake for 10 minutes
6. Lay a sheet of parchment paper out, once the cake is ready flip it out on the paper and roll it up, swish roll style and leave to cool
7. To make the icing melt the butter and dark chocolate together, add in the golden syrup, 5 tbsp of cream, and the icing sugar. Keep stirring until smooth
8. Whisk the rest of the double cream until it holds its shape
9. Unravel the cake and spread your cream through it, rolling it back up to create a chocolate cream dream
10. Spread the icing over the top, be careful not to cover the ends as the swirl is all part of the show. Use a fork lightly drag through the icing creating the bark-like effect. For an extra special look, you could sprinkle with icing sugar or decorate with holly!
Have you made this recipe? We would love to see your pictures or hear about you’re tried and tested recipes. You can reach us on Facebook or Instagram, you might even end up as part of our member’s magazine!
Other things you might like in this category
If you love Christmas as much as we do, then why not join the Club and we can keep you up to date with the latest Christmas stories, offers and competitions straight to your inbox.Sign Up Now!